CNC Machine Operator Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Manufacturing and Production
Scranton, PA, US
Location: SCRANTON (LSCRA)
Position Type: Full-Time Regular
Education Required: High School Diploma
Relocation Provided: No
Experience Required: 1 - 3 Years
Department: OPTICAL ELECT COMP MACH - L3109 (Direct)
Land Systems Division
Eynon, PA Facility
CLASS NO. 2883
TITLE: MACHINE OPERATOR/SETTER CNC
LABOR GRADE: 02
• Performs various combinations of machining operations such as turning, facing, boring, threading, drilling, reaming, tapping, contouring, etc. Enters revisions of programmed dimensions, feed rates, spindle speeds, etc. on machine console. May run multiple machines at a work center, while lifting, pulling and pushing manufactured products at the established rate of production.
• Operate and understand measuring instruments, such as height gages, micrometers, and calipers. Operator will understand how to preset tools using such equipment as optical tool setter, gauges or fixtures. In addition, Operator will calibrate and adjust the tool-setting equipment when necessary.
• Operator places automatic tool-changer magazine or machine tool holders according to programmed operation sequence.
• Operator makes the determination of the part being secure on the fixture in the machine.
• Activates control panel switches and keyboard buttons to control the machine console to go through various stages such as warm-up, align, cycle and stop the machine.
• Records revised dimensions, feed-rates, spindle speeds on the machine console to change programmed data. The operator will figure the tool compensation values due to tool wear and then compensate for the wear of the tool. In addition, the operator will adjust for material differences and restore the memory as needed.
• The operator will oversee the entire machining operation involving the tasks of identifying and correcting machining problems such as improper depth, size or location of holes and broken or worn tools. Also, the operator maintains the tooling for the machine and makes certain that the tool changing is completed in an appropriate manner.
• During the various stages of the machining process, the operator will clean and lubricate the drilled holes, check critical part dimensions, and at the end of the machining cycles utilizes gauges and other measuring devices.
• Upon completion of the machining operations, the operator will extract parts from the fixture.
• Operators must be able to demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks: prepare machining equipment to machine parts to close tolerances; understand tool layouts and related documents in order to set tools and compensate for tool wear; perform basic math skills such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and converting fractions to decimals; calculate positive and negative numeric values in order to set tools; and locate machining points and compute radii.
• Operator will have his/her work area clean at all times. On occasion, the operator may be assigned to conduct general cleaning in their department area.
• Operator will be accountable for pre and/or post operation and safety checks of equipment.
• Operator will be compliant to verify that he or she has followed the written instructions. The instructions may be the appropriate operation sheets or quality assurance directives.
• For the sake of keeping the operation moving, the operator may be required the movement of his/her own material to or from an adjoining department using a work saver piece of equipment.
• Operator may be expected to perform administrative tasks relating to the job and classification.
• Operator will be asked to perform in a safe manner a few non-skilled tasks such as minor lubrication, touch-up paint, application of rust proofing, deburring and administrative tasks.
• 2-5 years as a CNC Qualified Operator
• 2 year or 4 year technical degree in machining preferred
Additionally, candidate must have:
• Display integrity in all work aspects
• Ability to work collaboratively with various functional groups
• Accountability for quality of work
• Ability to be a team player with all functional area
• Strong safety practices
• Good housekeeping and organizational practices
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. General Dynamics Land Systems is committed to working with and providing accommodations to individuals with a disability. Candidates who require a reasonable accommodation due to disability for any part of the application or hiring process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Determination of requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
Who We Are
At General Dynamics, you can apply the knowledge and skills gained from your military experience to an exciting, cutting-edge career. We’re proud that thousands of veterans, reservists and guardsmen have chosen to bring their valued expertise to our team. Now we invite you to continue your career with an organization that is as dedicated to excellence as you are.