Chief Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Fairfax, VA, US
USA-VA-Fairfax | USA-MA-Pittsfield
Job ID: 2019-35155
Type: Full Time
# of Openings: 1
General Dynamics Mission Systems
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
ABOUT GDMS PITTSFIELD, MA
Come work for General Dynamics Mission Systems in beautiful Berkshire County, located on the western edge of Massachusetts. The Berkshires are very family friendly with excellent schools. The housing market is very affordable compared to surrounding larger cities. General Dynamics provides exceptional salaries compared to other employers in Berkshire County which provides a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family.
The surrounding area is a cultural center for arts and theater, including established venues such as Tanglewood, Mass Museum of Contemporary Arts, The Clark and the Norman Rockwell Museum, to name a few. Berkshire County is also an outdoors’ person’s dream location, with multiple lakes, nearby ski locations, golf courses and even the Appalachian Trail. Being part of New England, western Massachusetts also boasts four distinct and enjoyable seasons, from the comfortable summer months to the colorful fall and pristine winters.
As a small city with surrounding rural towns, Pittsfield has a reasonable cost of living and relaxing short commutes without giving up modern life amenities. We are centrally located in the northeast, providing easy access to all of the attractions New England can offer, such as Boston and New York City which are both less than a 3 hour drive away.
The Berkshire are Calling!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
The Chief Engineer requires a Bachelor's degree in Systems, Computer Science or related technical field or the equivalent and at least 15 years of related leadership experience. Applicants with a Master's degree and a minimum of 13 years of related leadership experience are also eligible.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire - active, transferable or able to obtain a TS/SCI clearance would be a benefit. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed in our facility, U.S. citizenship is required.
A Relocation package may be available for this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS), a market leader and technology innovator, is seeking talented professionals to deliver cutting edge solutions to our surface navy and shipyard customers.
GDMS has an immediate opening for a Chief Engineer in the Surface Systems Business Area to join our team who are based in Pittsfield MA, Fairlakes VA, Scottsdale AZ, and Mobile AL. Our employees work closely with our customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
The selected candidate will technically lead definition of strategies, solutions and plans. Our team works with the Navy and shipyard customers to design, build, and maintain surface combatant capability and also deliver leading edge EW and Cyber secure systems. As the Chief Engineer, you will lead the area technical strategies and captures, and be instrumental supporting the design and production activities needed to satisfy the interface, activation, and operational requirements of the engineering and combat systems. GDMS partners with the Navy and industry to meet the affordability, schedule, crew workload, and sustainment objectives.
In addition to receiving a competitive salary, flexible work environment, generous health and personal benefits, the successful candidate will enhance the skill set of a talented and technically accomplished group of colleagues.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Support business growth & strategy development and translate to engineering plans and requirements
- Develop and oversea technology roadmaps in support of our long range strategic plans and aligned with the customer communities strategic objectives.
- Develop affordable technical approaches
- Lead resolution of technical issues & risks on critical and high profile activities
- Increase customer interaction presenting technically sound solutions, unsolicited ideas for system enhancements, and ensuring operational perspective is captured in solutions
- Mentor senior level and junior engineers to grow key skills required by the business
- Develop / deliver improved perception of technical leadership in the marketplace via the development of relationships with major program offices and through the promotion of our capabilities at conferences
- Support Engineering Objectives through ensuring high quality, mission capable products delivered on time and on budget
- Drive a culture of innovation and operational improvements
- Candidates are required to have demonstrated tremendous leadership skills
- Candidates are required to have demonstrated team building and motivation skills
- Candidates are required to have demonstrated success on significant programs as project lead/ program technical manager and/or as a program manager with excellent technical and people leadership strengths with proven business experience and ship design, integration and production.
- Candidates need to have the balanced technical background to be a decision maker on program technical issues, understand the business aspects and have the ability to be a strategic / competitive thinker exhibiting an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness.
- The individual should have extensive experience and relationships with the US Navy Surface Ship construction, system design and integration customers (primarily NAVSEA), and major industry partners. The candidate should be capable of demonstrating entrepreneurial thinking in support of developing innovative solutions and applications that can translate theory in to real world solutions that enable new missions for the defense and intelligence community.
Who We Are
At General Dynamics, you can apply the knowledge and skills gained from your military experience to an exciting, cutting-edge career. We’re proud that thousands of veterans, reservists and guardsmen have chosen to bring their valued expertise to our team. Now we invite you to continue your career with an organization that is as dedicated to excellence as you are.